18600 Ventura Boulevard
Tarzana, CA 91356
Isn’t there some study that proves dogs have similar intelligence as children until the age of 2? I thought I heard that once. In any case, I’m finding my experience to prove that one true. Even though I’ve never actually owned a dog for more than 24 hours (but that’s a story for another day). Check out my non-scientific list of ways dogs and toddlers are similar below:
1. Dogs love to play, as do toddlers
2. Dogs respond well to praise, as do toddlers
3. Both love games, mealtime with R proves this one to be true
4. You can teach both “tricks” (where’s your nose?)
5. They both love cuddles
6. I think they have a very similar receptive vocabulary for a while
7. They need exercise
That’s where this whole Treehouse
comes into play. We went there one afternoon as a way to “exercise” R. We try to leave the house at least once a day because when we hang out at home all day she basically lounges on her butt until bedtime since we have such a small condo (serious lack of motivation from this one).
The Treehouse had only been open for 2 months, making it sparkly and new compared to other playspaces we’ve visited (major plus for a semi-germaphobe like myself). Here are some pros from our visit:
- relatively large space
- cute toddler sized eating and lounging area
- lots of window seating for parents
- really cool obstacle course for kids
- well sized section for babies under 2
- lots of snacks and drinks for sale in case you forgot your snack bag
The only thing I think it could use was an extra bathroom, since there was only one.
R had a blast doing the parts of the jungle themed obstacle course that she could manage. She loves climbing, so it was perfect for that. If you have a child under the age of 5, this place is great to kill a few hours. I’d just say to avoid any rainy days or school holidays, because indoor playspaces are kind of chaotic on those days. But on any other weekday I’d say pick up an iced latte, head over, shell out $10 and watch your little puppy, er…kid have some fun.